This is an incredibly informative article about the Great Black Swamp/former wetlands of this area and current water quality issues. I’m visiting the area next week (was looking for recreational opportunities when I found this) and wish there were more natural/wetland areas to explore in this state. In addition to improving water quality, restoring wetland/natural areas creates recreational opportunities for birders, visitors, and residents. That adds to the local economy through tourism. It’s a big challenge, but it seems there could be a balance between food production and preservation of natural areas.
Glad to see this activity and recognition of the cause of this very real problem. One not mentioned is that homeowners contribute to the problem by try to maintain perfect lawns their chemical runoff is contributing to the issue. Also golf courses also can help increase the problem. If we are to solve this very real problem we cannot ignore it we must recognize the need for wet land restoration and do it or else the cost will only increase.
The phosphorus issue has more to do with the cities and towns that dump the human waste in the rivers and Lake Erie when it rains more than 3 inches. Stop bashing the farmers that have been farming for years and know how to manage their farms soil nutrients.
Water, a product that mankind cannot do without. The problem with water though is, that too much of it is hoarded, polluted with chemicals on the farm, in industry and the homeplace. It’s really about greed. The Black Swamp was cleared to grown productive farms and the swamp could have been left alone as there was plenty of dry land to have a farm. Water is getting scarce because of man’s greed, just look at all of the homes that have a swimming pool and the billions of automobiles in operation as well as the millions not in operation that have water in their radiators. Water pumping to satisfy the want for a swimming pool and all the water sucked up for cities and counties, it’s no wonder why wetlands dry up and the good they provided, stops.
Does anyone think if we let the ditches grow cattails i them instead of cleaning them out that might filter some of the farmer run off before the water reaches the Portage ,Maumee ,Sandusky rivers or Lake Erie
The information on Maumee Bay State Park/ Wolfe Creek/ and the beach at Maumee Bay State Park are simply incorrect. Originally, and sometimes currently, beach closings at Maumee Bay have been due to ecoli that comes primarily from human sewage. If the author checks the data, about 75% of the reduction of beach closings at Maumee Bay State Park came from the installation of sewers upstream from Wolfe Creek. The original purpose of the wetland project was to reduce the other 25% of ecol. But when the algal blooms began to close the beaches at the park, the focus shifted to phosphorus for the wetland project. Students at UT stated that phosphorus data for testing in Wolfe Creek were very low and that phosphorus from Wolfe Creek was not a problem. As the Maumee Bay wetland project progressed, there has been more and more rhetoric about the constructed wetlands and its phosphorus benefits. The reality is there was little phosphorus to start with and there were many locations where the wetlands could have been constructed that would have captured far more phosphorus. But putting the wetlands in a state park was cheap and convenient. Lastly as to the comment on the relocation of Wolfe Creek, originally Wolfe Creek drained to a preserve known as little Cedar Point. Many supported Wolfe Creek being relocated to its natural flow,but that would not have supported creating a constructed wetlands in Maumee Bay State Park. The recommendation to construct wetlands at parks and other public places only makes sense if the wetlands would actually capture large amounts of phosphorous that can help Lake Erie.
ps The hand with the algae jar was mine and should have been so credited.
With all due respect, Sandy, unless the image was taken by you- which it’s not, because Aaron P. Bernstein took it as a Getty photographer, you released permission to him to use the image thereby transferring all credits to be given to him. The author did credit that the picture was an image of a resident, which I assume is you, therefore a correct description and ultimately, credit, has been given… to ‘your hand’.
I feel there will always be two sides of the story, however I find this article is extremely well-written and anyone really looking for more information and facts into the issue should do their due diligence before forming any solid perceptions of the situation.
Wetlands will always have a love hate relationship with those living around it and the livelihood of the farming community who provide the food we all need to live.
Comments are closed.